The boys are here!

I wrote a blog post about our llamas some time ago and just before Christmas had to make the sad edit that they had both been PTS. We suspect George had a tumour and Monty’s arthritis was so bad that he could no longer stand comfortably, in spite of me giving steroid injections at home twice a week. It was one of the worst periods of my life, coming after losing two cats in November and December and more losses with our ferrets and chickens. They were all a good age and I can’t complain, but eleven pets in the space of a few months was really tough.

I didn’t think we would ever have llamas again, but fate stepped in and back in February I found myself on the way to Devon to meet with a breeder and to choose another two boys. I had already fallen for Baxter from a photograph posted on her web site, but we needed a friend for him to bring along. In the end I chose little Madison for his quiet nature and I thought the two boys would get along well. They already shared a field with other youngsters and there didn’t appear to be any problems.

We had to wait a few weeks until their vaccinations had been done and they had a final check from the vet. In the meantime we have been very busy in the fields – replacing fence posts, weeding and generally sorting out the field shelter. We spent a very hard afternoon picking up all the fallen twigs and branches along the bottom of the fields and they looked so nice… for exactly two days until Storm Katie hit and a tree fell down in the corner. My dear husband spent two days cutting it up and putting the bits on our ever-growing rubbish pile. We are going to have one enormous bonfire in the far field very soon.

So, back to the boys, who were delivered four days ago. It was a long journey, but they arrived safe and sound. It was all new to them of course, although I wasn’t expecting them to be so worried about our little rescued pig, who is a pot belly cross. Within an hour of leading them into their new home, we had a thunderstorm, but try as we might, we couldn’t persuade them to go in the field shelter. Checking them at bed time, they were still standing out in the pouring rain. I guess that is what they had been used to.

We’ve been busy every day, continuing with their training. First we put a catch rope around their neck and then gently coax them to accept the halter. Then we brush them gently before leading them around our fields. We’ve taught them to wait while the gates are opened and closed and they are getting used to commands to “stand” and “walk on”.

They are getting used to me being around them with the camera too. Thankfully neither seems to be a spitter like our old George and the other day I was able to take the two images shown here. Hopefully we will have many years of joy with them.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s