Grubby wall

I don’t know how others might see this image, but for me it represents the end of the busiest part of the day and a chance to sit down and relax – at least for an hour or so. We get home from work around 6.00 p.m. and it takes just over one and a half hours to get the animals done. This time of year we change into our “mucking out” clothes, by which time we have warmed up from the bitter temperatures outside. Then we prepare dinner for the pig and the llamas and we have to go outside again. Stepping into the chilly porch is the one thing that I don’t like. It’s better than it used to be, as while we still had our green iguana living in the attic, I used to clean her room at about 85 degrees first. I always reckoned the extreme change in temperature was going to finish me off. Sadly we don’t have Eddie any more, but the drastic change from warm to cold is always difficult.

Oddly enough, once I’m outside, then I really don’t mind what the weather is doing. It’s pitch black too, which can make moving around our half-acre garden a tad tricky. We feed the badgers and head off for the fields. Once the chickens have been checked and the field shelter has been done, then we can warm up indoors. The litter trays have already been seen to, so all we have to do is clean the ferret room once more and feed the cats. At the same time every evening, we blood test our diabetic cat before giving her a special feed and then injecting her insulin.

At this point we are very nearly home and dry. All that is left is for me to feed her daughter separately, which is when we shut the kittens in the kitchen and I am left contemplating the light that shines through the three window panes in the top of the door. I’ve been looking for several weeks and once I even picked up the camera. It had the ultra wide lens on though and I felt too tired to fish everything out and change it. However, the other night I tried again, but it became clear this wasn’t going to be an easy shot. It was very dark in our little hall and with the lens wide open and the ISO cranked up as high as I dared, I was left hand holding with a shutter speed of 1/4 second. It seems I got lucky on that score, but of course, the light coming through from the kitchen was a mixture and no single setting gave me the white balance I needed. The image ended up with a horrible yellow cast that had to be corrected in Photoshop. Once that was done, it was a simple matter of fine tuning to create what I remembered at the time. I love the way the three panes of glass create a wavy pattern on the old brickwork and especially how the light catches the old brass door knob. The end of another hectic day and all is well.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s